Wake up to a refreshing and nourishing almond milk smoothie! This easy and delicious recipe is perfect for breakfast or as a post-workout treat. This smoothie is a delicious and healthy option for those who are lactose intolerant or prefer a plant-based alternative to dairy milk.
Smoothies are a versatile and tasty treat to add to your daily meal plan. For example, I have a Green Smoothie nearly every day, and it makes me feel so healthy and vibrant! But smoothies can be more than that. It’s also a healthy sweet treat. Take this almond milk protein shake. It’s
- Lemon — We’ll use both the zest and the juice of the lemon.
- Oats — I used rolled oats for this recipe, but you can substitute instant oats.
- Chia — We’ll add some ground chia seeds to create a thicker texture. You can use whole chia seeds; I just prefer ground because it creates a smoother finished texture.
- Syrup — I used maple syrup, but you can substitute agave nectar.
- Milk — We’ll use almond milk for the best overnight oats! Substitute your favorite plant-based milk.
- Yogurt — I love adding some plant-based yogurt (plain, unsweetened) for an even more tangy flavor.
- Protein Powder — I add some vanilla protein powder for increased flavor and nutrients. If your protein powder is not sweetened, you may want to add an extra teaspoon or two of sweetener.
- Cornstarch — We’ll use cornstarch to thicken the lemon curd topping.
- Turmeric — A pinch of turmeric makes that lemon curd sunny yellow.
- Frozen bananas — We chop the bananas and add them in a single layer ot a plastic freezer bag.
- Cocoa powder — Use natural or Dutch-processed cocoa powder.
- Almond milk — Almond milk is made by grinding almonds and blending them with water. This creates creamy, nutty-flavored milk. It is a good source of calcium and vitamin E, and is lower in calories and fat compared to cow’s milk.
- Protein Powder — Use either chocolate or vanilla plant-based protein powder.
- Almond butter — A bit of almond butter makes this smoothie extra creamy.
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- CREAMY — Using almond butter adds healthy fats, making this smoothie rich and delicious
- THICK — Frozen bananas are a secret ingredient for making the creamiest smoothies
- HEALTHY — Adding chocolate protein powder gives this smoothie a nutritional boost with lots of plant-based protein.
Using Almond Milk
There are many ways to incorporate almond milk into smoothies. You can use it as the base for your smoothie, or mix it with other plant-based milks, such as soy milk or coconut milk.
Almond milk pairs well with a variety of flavors, so you can add in your favorite fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds to create a tasty and nourishing smoothie.
Some ideas for ingredients to add to your almond milk smoothie include:
- Fruits: berries, bananas, mango, pineapple, apples, pears
- Vegetables: spinach, kale, cucumber, avocado
- Nuts and seeds: almonds, cashews, peanuts, chia seeds, flax seeds
- Sweeteners: vegan honey, agave nectar, maple syrup
- Flavorings: vanilla extract, cinnamon, cocoa powder
Remember to adjust the amount of almond milk you use depending on your preferred thickness. You can also add ice to make the smoothie colder and thicker. Enjoy your almond milk smoothie as a breakfast, snack, or post-workout treat.
Does almond milk make smoothies thicker?
Although almond milk is a nut milk, its consistency is more similar to water than a rich cream. As a result, almond milk will not make your smoothies thicker, but it will add the needed liquids to create the perfect smoothie consistency.
Can you freeze almond milk smoothies?
You can freeze smoothies, which is especially nice when you’ve made more than you need. To do so, transfer the smoothie to a freezer-safe container and freeze it for up to 2 months.
Are smoothies good for weight loss?
Smoothies are filling and can be a low-calorie snack when made with the right ingredients. Using ingredients like protein powder can be a way to add protein to your diet, which has also been shown to increase satiety.
Serve this tasty smoothie with your favorite toppings such as:
This smoothie tastes best fresh, but you can cover and refrigerate it for up to 2 days. You can also freeze it in freezer-safe containers for up to 2 months.
Vegan Smoothie Favorites
If you love this almond milk smoothie, here are even more tasty smoothie recipes to try!
Almond Milk Smoothie
- 1 cup frozen banana slices
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder unsweetened (optional)
- ¾ cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons plant-based protein powder (chocolate or vanilla)
- 1 tablespoon almond butter optional, but recommended
- 1 cup ice
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.