Make this delicious double chocolate cherry dump cake recipe with a boxed chocolate cake mix and cherry pie filling. Dairy-free chocolate chips and chopped pecans are added for an even more gooey delicious chocolate flavor.
It’s cherry season here on our farm. Wait! I don’t live on a farm (It just sometimes feels like I do). I’m a big fan of cherries with chocolate but I do wish there were a better name for this chocolate dump cake with cherries.
Interestingly enough, the Dump Cake came onto the scene at the same time as the wacky cake, in the early 1900s. This was a time when people were forced to be creative with desserts either due to a lack of available ingredients or time.
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Using cherry pie filling makes this recipe easy to throw together and full of indulgent flavor too
- Chocolate cake mix is drizzled over the cherry pie filling creating a dense, chocolate-infused cake layer.
- Garnishing with chocolate chips and chopped pecans means each bite is full of gooey chocolate flavor and crunchy baked pecans.
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
- Lemon — We’ll use both the zest and the juice of the lemon.
- Oats — I used rolled oats for this recipe, but you can substitute instant oats.
- Chia — We’ll add some ground chia seeds to create a thicker texture. You can use whole chia seeds; I just prefer ground because it creates a smoother finished texture.
- Syrup — I used maple syrup, but you can substitute agave nectar.
- Milk — We’ll use almond milk for the best overnight oats! Substitute your favorite plant-based milk.
- Yogurt — I love adding some plant-based yogurt (plain, unsweetened) for an even more tangy flavor.
- Protein Powder — I add some vanilla protein powder for increased flavor and nutrients. If your protein powder is not sweetened, you may want to add an extra teaspoon or two of sweetener.
- Cornstarch — We’ll use cornstarch to thicken the lemon curd topping.
- Turmeric — A pinch of turmeric makes that lemon curd sunny yellow.
- Cherry Pie Filling — You’ll need two 15-ounce cans of lite or regular cherry pie filling. Or you can make your own homemade cherry sauce.
- Chocolate Cake Mix — Make sure the ingredients don’t include eggs or dairy.
- Vegan Butter — Any vegan butter or dairy-free margarine will work.
- Chocolate Chips — Use your favorite Dairy-free chocolate chips.
- Pecans — You’ll need 1 cup of chopped pecans.
I made this Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake and it was delicious! We had it for desert that evening and then for breakfast the next morning. So easy to make and tastes incredible!
Serve individual slices in a bowl. It’s particularly good when the slices are warm and have any of the following on top:
Store this cake by covering and refrigerating it. It will keep for 3 to 5 days in the fridge. It can be frozen in freezer-safe containers for up to 2 months.
Vegan Cake Mixes
I’m sure you could create your own cake mix, but this recipe is for chocolate cherry dump cake recipes using cake mixes. Today, there are plenty of accidentally vegan foods in grocery stores, including cake mixes.
Here are some favorite vegan chocolate cake mixes for chocolate dump cake recipes:
- Duncan Hines — Many of these cake mixes don’t have dairy and eggs (always read package labels), including this Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix (paid link).
- Betty Crocker — A lot of these cake mixes also don’t have eggs these days (again, always read labels), including this Betty Crocker Devil’s Food Chocolate Cake Mix (paid link).
- Pillsbury — Some of these cake mixes are accidentally vegan as well, but I always check the labels because it’s changing every day. This Pillsbury Dark Chocolate Cake Mix (paid link) is made without dairy or eggs.
- Simple Mills — For an organic, gluten-free option, Simple Mills Chocolate Cake Mix (paid link) is made with almond flour and organic ingredients.
- You can add about ½ cup of coconut flakes to the top before baking for some added flavor
- Halve this recipe and bake it in a square 8×8 or 9×9 inch baking pan, and reduce the cooking time by about 20 minutes
- Make a cherry brownie dump cake by substituting a brownie mix for the chocolate cake mix (just be sure to use one that’s dairy-free)
If you love this cherry chocolate dump cake, you’ll love other cherry inspired recipes such as these vegan cherry muffins. You can also add some cherry sauce to this vegan lava cake. Try any of these tasty cherry dessert recipes:
Of course, if you want to skip the cake and go straight for the chocolate, this Vegan Fudge recipe is perfection.
That’s it in this chocolate cherry dump cake. enjoy!
Black Forest Dump Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Open the 2 cans of cherry pie filling and spread it into the bottom of an ungreased 9×13 cake pan.
- Sprinkle the dry cake mix over the cherry pie filling.
- Next, place vegan butter in a microwave-safe container and cook in 30-second increments until melted. Drizzle melted butter over the dry cake mix, spreading it evenly across the cake mix.
- Evenly spread chopped nuts over the melted butter.
- Top with chocolate chips.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Serve warm.
- Store this cake by covering and refrigerating. It will keep 3 to 5 days in the fridge.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post was originally published in 2019 and was updated to include new photos, new text, and an updated recipe in 2021.