This chocolate peanut butter sandwich cookies recipe is an indulgent cookie full of delicious flavor! You’ll love everything, from the chewy chocolate cookie to the peanut butter filling!
When family are coming over, it’s important to make something extra special. I make food to show people how much I love ’em. I know, it’s a problem, but what can I say?
Of course, I like to make delicious food all of the time, like for my husband and daughter. And the dogs. Yes, it’s true, the dogs can’t eat chocolate. Poor Jack and Coco. How depressing life would be without chocolate, and yet somehow they seem happy all the time. What irony!
I love making these Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Sandwich Cookies for special occasions. They’re not only delicious, they’re what I call coffee shop quality too!
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
- Lemon — We’ll use both the zest and the juice of the lemon.
- Oats — I used rolled oats for this recipe, but you can substitute instant oats.
- Chia — We’ll add some ground chia seeds to create a thicker texture. You can use whole chia seeds; I just prefer ground because it creates a smoother finished texture.
- Syrup — I used maple syrup, but you can substitute agave nectar.
- Milk — We’ll use almond milk for the best overnight oats! Substitute your favorite plant-based milk.
- Yogurt — I love adding some plant-based yogurt (plain, unsweetened) for an even more tangy flavor.
- Protein Powder — I add some vanilla protein powder for increased flavor and nutrients. If your protein powder is not sweetened, you may want to add an extra teaspoon or two of sweetener.
- Cornstarch — We’ll use cornstarch to thicken the lemon curd topping.
- Turmeric — A pinch of turmeric makes that lemon curd sunny yellow.
- Dairy-free chocolate chips
- Plant-based milk
- Vegan butter
- Granulated sugar
- Ground flaxseed
- Apple cider vinegar
- Baking soda + baking powder
- Vegan Peanut Butter Cups
- Peanut butter
- Vegan cream cheese
- Vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Cream butter and sugar with a mixer until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the ground flax, cornstarch, water, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar until combined.
- Add the melted chocolate and beat on high, until fluffy.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients from the flour to the salt.
- Beat the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture on low speed until well combined.
- Stir in the remaining chocolate chips.
- Distribute cookie dough onto a cookie sheet. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes, until the cookies are done.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow cookies to cool 1 to 2 minutes on the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
How to Make Peanut Butter Filling
- Cream peanut butter and vegan cream cheese in a large mixing bowl on medium-high speed to soften and blend, about 2 minutes.
- Add the vanilla, powdered sugar, and salt, and beat until fluffy.
- Place a dollop of Peanut Butter Filling on the flat side of one cookie.
- Press a second cookie, flat side down, on top.
- Crumble some Vegan chocolate peanut butter cups and roll the edges of the cookie in the crumbled candies.
Place cookies in an airtight container. They’ll keep at room temperature for up to 5 days or in the fridge for up to 10 days. You can freeze these cookies too. Place them in a freezer-friendly container and keep them frozen for up to 3 months. Set them out to thaw at room temperature for around 30 minutes to an hour.
These peanut butter sandwich cookies are a real crowd-pleaser. This always gives me a big rush — to place a tray of cookies in front of my peeps and listen for the oohs and ahs that follow.
So if you like rich, creamy, chocolate-infused peanut butter cookies, you’re gonna love these!
Vegan Peanut Butter Recipes
If you love these chocolate peanut butter sandwich cookies, here’s even more chocolate and peanut butter recipes you’ll want to try:
- 2 cups dairy-free chocolate chips, divided
- 1/4 cup soy or almond milk
- 1 cup vegan butter softened
- 1¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Optional: Vegan Peanut Butter Cups
Peanut Butter Filling
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup vegan cream cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
For the Chocolate Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a cookie pan with parchment paper.
- Combine 1 cup chocolate chips and 1/4 cup plant-based milk in a microwave safe bowl, stir together, and then heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir the two together. Heat again in 10 – 15 second increments, until the chocolate chips are melted and the mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Combine the softened vegan butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat with a mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the ground flax, cornstarch, water, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar. Use the mixer and beat until combined.
- Add the melted chocolate mixture and beat on high, until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Pour this to the chocolate butter mixture and beat until well combined. Add the remaining 1 cup of chocolate chips and stir until equally distributed throughout the batter.
- Use a cookie scoop to evenly distribute cookie dough onto a cookie sheet. Bake for 9 – 11 minutes, until the cookies are done. Remove the pan from the oven. Allow cookies to cool 1 – 2 minutes on the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat until all the cookies are made and cooled.
Whipped Peanut Butter Creamy Filling:
- Combine peanut butter and vegan cream cheese in a large mixing bowl and beat on medium-high speed to soften and blend, about 2 minutes.
- Add the vanilla, powdered sugar, and salt, and beat to until fluffy.
Sandwich Cookie Assembly
- The assemble the cookies, place a dollop of Peanut Butter Filling on the flat side of one cookie and place a second cookie, flat side down, on the filling. Crumble some Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter cups and roll the edges of the cookie in the crumbled candies. Voila! Peanut Butter Cookie Sandwiches!
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.