Start your day right with this chocolate peanut butter protein smoothie made with less than ten ingredients. You’ll be on your way with loads of energy. You’ll love this creamy shake, made with wholesome, plant-based ingredients, like bananas, peanut butter, cocoa powder, and plant-based protein powder. Delicious!
The experts seem to be in alignment that we need some protein at the beginning of the day. Of course, that leads to the age-old question, where do vegans get their protein? Sigh. As if to acquire protein one must consume animal products.
It makes a person wonder where cows get their protein. Eh? Anyway, there are awesome plant-based protein options. In fact, that’s where this plant-based protein smoothie comes in handy.
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
- Lemon — We’ll use both the zest and the juice of the lemon.
- Oats — I used rolled oats for this recipe, but you can substitute instant oats.
- Chia — We’ll add some ground chia seeds to create a thicker texture. You can use whole chia seeds; I just prefer ground because it creates a smoother finished texture.
- Syrup — I used maple syrup, but you can substitute agave nectar.
- Milk — We’ll use almond milk for the best overnight oats! Substitute your favorite plant-based milk.
- Yogurt — I love adding some plant-based yogurt (plain, unsweetened) for an even more tangy flavor.
- Protein Powder — I add some vanilla protein powder for increased flavor and nutrients. If your protein powder is not sweetened, you may want to add an extra teaspoon or two of sweetener.
- Cornstarch — We’ll use cornstarch to thicken the lemon curd topping.
- Turmeric — A pinch of turmeric makes that lemon curd sunny yellow.
- Cocoa powder
- Plant-based milk soy, almond, etc
- Plant-based chocolate protein powder
- Peanut butter
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- CREAMY — Bananas add creaminess to any smoothie, which is why they’re perfect for this one
- DELICIOUS — Peanut butter adds delicious flavor to this smoothie
- HEALTHY — Plant-based protein powder adds protein, chocolate flavor, and even more nutrients.
Getting Adequate Protein
It’s essential to get an adequate amount of protein in your diet and plants are a great source. We created this chocolate protein smoothie to make getting that protein as delicious as possible.
You can determine how much protein you need by multiplying your weight by four and then dividing by 10. So, if you’re 150 pounds, here’s what it would look like:
150 lbs X 4 = 560 / 10 = 56
So, a 150-pound individual should be getting around 56 grams of protein a day. This vegan protein smoothie has 10 grams per serving, giving you nearly 20% of your daily protein needs. [Source]
The great news is…getting your plant-based protein in for breakfast is so much easier today. One reason is that there are so many more plant-based protein powders available.
You can find protein in almost every food, even a banana. Here’s a breakdown of the protein for some ingredients in this smoothie recipe:
- banana = 1.3g protein
- plant-based milk = 5.36g protein
- plant-based protein powder = 9.45g protein (protein content varies by product)
- peanut butter = 4g protein
Serve your chocolate peanut butter protein smoothie with any of the following:
- Drizzles of vegan chocolate syrup
- Coconut Whipped Cream
- Slices of banana
- Bits of Protein Granola on top
If you like to start your day with some creamy, sweet, chocolate, and peanut butter goodness, well, then, this smoothie might be just the ticket. It whips up pretty darn fast, has less than 10 ingredients, and is a perfect breakfast to travel with you in the car for your morning commute. What more could you ask for?
When I have this smoothie, I feel energized for the rest of the day. I think there’s something about knowing I’m making good choices for my body that helps me feel better about everything. The choices we make do make a difference.
Besides, this Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie is creamy, smooth, chocolatey, peanut buttery (is that a word), plant-based, and ready to go in just a few minutes.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie
- 1 large banana peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder unsweetened
- ¾ cup plant-based milk soy, almond, etc
- 2 tablespoons plant-based chocolate protein powder
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter optional, but recommended
- 1 cup ice
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post was originally published in 2018 and was updated to include new photos, new text, and an updated recipe in 2021.