Make this creamy Vegan Key Lime Pie with a buttery graham cracker crust and you’ll enjoy the delights of your efforts. A dairy-free key lime pie recipe is not only a possibility, it’s easy because this no-bake pie takes only minutes to prepare.
I love summertime pies. For example, this vegan berry pie is a go-to favorite! Of course, I wanted to make a key lime pie vegan. After a few attempts, I created a winner!
When you’re looking for a no-bake pie, this is the best vegan key lime pie recipe around! It’s such a treat and I love the happy faces when it’s served. It’s a moment I get to enjoy as well because not only is it easy to make (with only 6 ingredients), but it’s the perfect balance between sweet and tart. I love it!
Key Ingredients for Key Lime Pie
- Lemon — We’ll use both the zest and the juice of the lemon.
- Oats — I used rolled oats for this recipe, but you can substitute instant oats.
- Chia — We’ll add some ground chia seeds to create a thicker texture. You can use whole chia seeds; I just prefer ground because it creates a smoother finished texture.
- Syrup — I used maple syrup, but you can substitute agave nectar.
- Milk — We’ll use almond milk for the best overnight oats! Substitute your favorite plant-based milk.
- Yogurt — I love adding some plant-based yogurt (plain, unsweetened) for an even more tangy flavor.
- Protein Powder — I add some vanilla protein powder for increased flavor and nutrients. If your protein powder is not sweetened, you may want to add an extra teaspoon or two of sweetener.
- Cornstarch — We’ll use cornstarch to thicken the lemon curd topping.
- Turmeric — A pinch of turmeric makes that lemon curd sunny yellow.
- Graham cracker crust — Use a store-bought graham cracker crust (which are Accidentally Vegan) or make a homemade Vegan Graham Cracker Crust. Of course, I prefer homemade.
- Key limes — You can find bags of little key limes in the produce section of most grocery stores in the spring and summer. You’ll need both the zest and the juice. See more on substitutions below.
- Sweetened condensed milk — You can buy coconut cream sweetened condensed milk. Or you can make homemade vegan sweetened condensed milk.
- Vegan cream cheese — I use either Tofutti’s or Daiya vegan cream cheese.
- Silken tofu — Here’s more on buying tofu at the grocery store. You can usually find silken tofu in the produce section or at healthy food stores.
- Coconut oil — I use refined coconut oil to create a firmer custard. Refined coconut has a more neutral flavor, but if you like coconut combined with lime, then use unrefined coconut oil.
What are Key Limes?
Key limes are a hybrid fruit and they’re smaller than the average lime and more aromatic. You find them in the summer in the produce section of most grocery stores. If you can’t find key limes, use lime juice combined with a bit of lemon juice. That creates a distinctive key lime flavor.
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- BEST CRUST — A buttery graham cracker crust is the perfect foundation for this easy pie
- TANGY — The zest of key limes makes for a tantalizingly tangy custard
- COLORFUL — Adding a few spinach leaves or food coloring adds a burst of green color!
How to Juice Key Limes
Key limes are not your typical citrus fruit. They’re much smaller than standard limes and even lemons. Here are some favorite tips for zesting and juicing key limes.
To finely grate or zest key limes:
- Wash the limes.
- Only zest the outside part of the lime, the white skin underneath is bitter and not suited for pies.
- Microplane: It takes about 4 minutes to zest 6 key limes. Hold a microplane in one hand and the lime in the other and gently press the lime across the microplane, turning the lime as you go.
- Grater: Use a grater with fine holes and press the lime against it, turning the lime to zest only the outer layer.
- Knife: You can use a knife but it takes a bit longer. Hold the lime down on a cutting board and cut off thin strips of the peel. Dice the lime strips into fine pieces.
To juice key limes:
- It takes around 18 key limes to create 1/2 cup of juice. You can supplement with some lime juice.
- Microwave the key limes for 20 seconds to soften them.
- Cut a key lime in half (cutting through the rounder side rather than stem to stem).
- Remove any obvious seeds.
- Press it onto a juicer to soften it (or use a fork).
- Then press the lime between your fingers to get all the juice.
Serve this tasty summer pie as is, or add any of these as toppings:
Store the entire pie or individual slices in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 or 5 days. The pie can also be frozen for up to 2 months. Serve the pie frozen by allowing it to thaw for a few minutes.
Use these tips and tricks for making this healthy key lime pie recipe perfect every time:
- Transform this into a coconut key lime pie by using a can of coconut cream instead of the cream cheese.
- Make a vegan gluten-free key lime pie by using gluten-free graham crackers for the crust.
- Make a sugar-free key lime pie by substituting zero-calorie sweeteners.
- Create a raw key lime pie by using the raw crust in this Raw Vegan Cheesecake.
Vegan Summer Desserts
There are so many delicious no-bake recipes ready for your summer dessert table. One favorite is this plant-based creme brulee recipe. It’s so easy, creamy, and delicious!
If you love this dairy-free key lime pie, here are even more easy vegan summer dessert recipes to try:
Dairy-Free Key Lime Pie
Key Lime Pie Filling
- 2 tablespoons key lime zest
- ⅓ cup key lime juice
- 11 oz can vegan sweetened condensed milk See notes for substitution
- 8 oz container vegan cream cheese
- 10 oz container silken tofu
- ½ cup refined coconut oil
- optional color: Add 1 to 2 drops organic green food coloring or add several fresh spinach leaves and process (use a high speed blender in order to blend the spinach leaves adequately).
- Topping: Dairy-free Whipped Topping and Raspberries
For the Key Lime Pie Filling:
- Combine the pie filling ingredients in a food processor or high-speed blender. Pulse until combined.
- Pour the pie filling into the cooled pie crust. Refrigerate for 2 hours, up to overnight. It will firm up as it chills.
- Serve with dairy-free cream whipped topping and fresh raspberries.
Serving the Pie:
- Top the pie with dollops of coconut whipped cream and key lime slices.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post was originally published in 2019 and was updated to include new photos, new text, and an updated recipe in 2021.
This was a sponsored post. All opinions are my own. See our full disclosure for more information.