Make this amazing vegan Chocolate Waffles recipe for your next indulgent breakfast. Serve these waffles with a simple but tasty maple chocolate syrup, too.
These vegan chocolate waffles are so versatile — you can serve them for breakfast or dessert. The good news is, this recipe uses whole wheat pastry flour, making it a little bit healthier than the average waffle.
It’s good to find that balance between healthy and delicious, and these chocolate waffles hit the mark. Bullseye!
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Using whole wheat pastry flour keeps these waffles healthy while still tasting delicious
- Adding ground nutmeg is a secret ingredient that transforms waffles into a delicacy that has hints of donut flavor in every bite
- Combining chocolate chips with maple syrup creates a simple but delightful syrup topping, especially perfect for these waffles!
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
- Lemon — We’ll use both the zest and the juice of the lemon.
- Oats — I used rolled oats for this recipe, but you can substitute instant oats.
- Chia — We’ll add some ground chia seeds to create a thicker texture. You can use whole chia seeds; I just prefer ground because it creates a smoother finished texture.
- Syrup — I used maple syrup, but you can substitute agave nectar.
- Milk — We’ll use almond milk for the best overnight oats! Substitute your favorite plant-based milk.
- Yogurt — I love adding some plant-based yogurt (plain, unsweetened) for an even more tangy flavor.
- Protein Powder — I add some vanilla protein powder for increased flavor and nutrients. If your protein powder is not sweetened, you may want to add an extra teaspoon or two of sweetener.
- Cornstarch — We’ll use cornstarch to thicken the lemon curd topping.
- Turmeric — A pinch of turmeric makes that lemon curd sunny yellow.
- Coconut oil — Use refined for a more neutral flavor or virgin coconut oil for a more coconut flavor.
- Plant-based milk — Use your favorite plant-based milk such as soy or almond. You can use either plain or vanilla-flavored milk.
- Flour — You can use Whole Wheat Pastry Flour, all-purpose flour, or gluten-free flour.
- Cocoa powder — I recommend natural cocoa powder rather than Dutch-process cocoa powder.
- Ground nutmeg — This transforms chocolate waffles into something amazing
- Chocolate Chips — Use your favorite brand of dairy-free chocolate chips.
How to Make Chocolate Waffles
You’ll be surprised at how easy it is to make these chocolate waffles. Here are the steps involved:
- Stir together the wet ingredients, from the coconut oil to the vanilla.
- Mix the dry ingredients, from the flour to the salt.
- Make waffle batter by pouring the milk mixture in with the flour mixture and stirring it all together.
- Heat a waffle iron and spray with vegetable spray.
- Make waffles by pouring around a half cup of batter onto the center, spreading it within 1/2″ of the edges of the waffle iron. Close the lid and allow the waffle iron to cook, usually 2 to 3 minutes.
Chocolate Maple Syrup
- Make chocolate maple syrup by combining chocolate chips and maple syrup in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave for 30 seconds and then cover with a plate.
- Stir it together until the chocolate melts.
- Drizzle over waffles.
Store waffles in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. They can also be frozen for up to 2 months.
Use these expert tips to make these chocolate covered waffles perfect every time!
- You can add a sprinkle or two of ground cinnamon
- How about adding some colorful sprinkles to make these into birthday waffles!
- Make these into vegan gluten-free chocolate waffles by using gluten-free baking flour
Do You Heat Up Chocolate Waffles?
You can eat chocolate waffles cold, but they’re best when served warm. Waffles can be heated up in the microwave, but they’re even better when heated in a toaster oven or toaster to get the crispy crust.
That’s it for these vegan chocolate waffles. Enjoy!
Vegan Chocolate Waffles
- In a mixing bowl, combine the melted coconut oil, agave nectar, plant-based milk, and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the four, baking soda, cocoa powder, nutmeg, and salt. Stir to combine. Then pour the plant-based milk mixture into the bowl with the flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Follow the instructions on your waffle maker to make waffles. (For standard waffle iron, spray the waffle iron with vegetable spray and pour a half cup of waffle batter onto the center, spreading it within 1/2" of edges of the waffle iron. Close the lid and allow the waffle iron to cook, usually 2 to 3 minutes).
- To make Chocolate Maple Syrup, combine chocolate chips and maple syrup in a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds or so. Stir until the chocolate melts.
- Serve warm with vegan butter, and chocolate maple syrup, fruit jam, and or fresh fruit.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Celebrating National Chocolate Day
Is there any better national food day than this one? I don’t think so because today it is National Chocolate Day. Bring. It. On.
I’m celebrating with some of my favorite food bloggers so you can enjoy this day in style as well. Please note that not all these recipes are vegan. If you’d like help with veganizing any of them, just let me know.
Here are the recipes we’re offering this month:
- Vegan Chocolate Wacky Cake
- Perfect Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache by Ashlee Marie
- Perfect Chocolate Cheesecake by Life Made Simple
- Vegan Chocolate Glazed Baked Donuts
- Fudgy Double Chocolate Cookies by the Baker Upstairs
- Vegan Chocolate Avocado Cake
- Chocolate Chip Energy Bites
- Easy Chocolate Moose via Creations by Kara
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie
- Selfish Bars by Food with Family
- Vegan Chocolate Croissants
- Brownie Delight by Real Mom Kitchen
- Vegan Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Spanish Hot Chocolate with Coconut Churros thanks to the Noshery
- Vegan Chocolate Overnight Oats
Whatever chocolate delight you’re dishing on, enjoy!