Enjoy the delicious flavor of fall with these vegan pumpkin brownies! This easy recipe makes the perfect snack or dessert and is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. Plus, it’s vegan-friendly and only takes 9 ingredients to make. Get baking today!
Sometimes a little unevenness in the kitchen can be a good thing. This is especially true when making vegan pumpkin brownies. A dollop of brownie here and a smidge of pumpkin swirl there make each bite a surprise!
Is there anything that pumpkin doesn’t make a little bit better? You know, it’s amazing in lattes, muffins, soups, and even, ahem, brownies. Of course, my chocolate Vegan Fudge is pretty good even without pumpkin!
How to Make Vegan Pumpkin Brownies
Have you wondered if you could make pumpkin brownies without eggs? I love making these pumpkin swirl brownies because of the groans of pleasure from everyone who eats them! What can I say? I love feeding people good food!
Here are the steps to make these vegan pumpkin brownies:
- Prepare the pumpkin swirl by stirring together the ingredients
- Make the brownie batter by combining a brownie mix with pumpkin and other ingredients.
- Pour half of the batter into a prepared pan.
- Top with the pumpkin mixture.
- Add the remaining brownie mixture on top.
- Bake until the brownies are done.
Note: To make vegan pumpkin swirl brownies, you can use a knife to gently swirl the layers before you bake the brownies.
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
- Pumpkin puree — You’ll need one typical can of pumpkin puree, which is usually around 15 ounces.
- Vegan cream cheese — We’ll be using an 8-ounce container of vegan cream cheese.
- Sugar — Just a bit of granulated sugar in the pumpkin layer is all you need.
- Vanilla — We’ll add some vanilla extract to the pumpkin layer.
- Spice — We’ll use a tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice.
- Flour — You’ll want to add some flour to make the pumpkin layer set. You can use all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour.
- Brownie mix — Find a brownie mix made without eggs or dairy. There are plenty of options these days, including some that are intentionally vegan and some that are accidentally vegan. To make vegan gluten-free pumpkin brownies, use a brownie mix that is also gluten-free.
- Vegetable oil — To make the brownies nice and gooey, we’ll add some vegetable oil.
- Chocolate Chips — This is optional, but adding dairy-free chocolate chips is always a great combination with brownies.
Vegan Brownies Pumpkin Inspired
Brownies are perfectly delicious all on their own. It’s not as if they NEED the pumpkin.
At least, that’s what you think until you’ve actually tried brownies infused with pumpkin.
It’s that middle layer of pumpkin made with pumpkin pie spice that really adds pizzazz to this brownie recipe!
Store brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 or 3 days or in the fridge for up to 7 days. They can be frozen in freezer-safe containers or bags for up to 2 months.
Vegan Pumpkin Recipes
If you love these vegan chocolate pumpkin brownies just as much as me, you’ll definitely want to try these Black Bean Brownies. They are so delicious! If you’re ready for some more vegan pumpkin recipes, check these out:
Vegan Pumpkin Swirl Brownies
- 18 oz package brownie mix (one without eggs or dairy)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (remaining from the can)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup dairy-free chocolate chips (reserving some for the top of the brownies)
- Set your oven to 325°F/165°C. Prepare a 9×9 square cake pan by giving it a light spray of vegetable cooking spray.
Pumpkin Swirl Mixture
- Combine the pumpkin, cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, spice, and flour in a medium-sized bowl. Stir vigorously to combine. Use an immersion blender for stubborn cream cheese lumps.
- If the batter is too thick, gently stir in one to two tablespoons of water.
- In a large bowl combine the brownie mix with the remaining ingredients.
- Stir together until combined and no large lumps of flour remain.
Assembling the Brownies
- Pour a little more than half of the brownie mixture into the bottom of the prepared cake pan.
- Next, spread the pumpkin mixture over the brownie base, using a spatula to spread it out to the edges.
- Spread the remaining brownie batter over the top. Optional: Add more chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 50 minutes. Check for doneness. If it's a little too soft in the middle, go ahead and cook it for 5 more minutes.
- When the brownies are done, remove from the oven and cool for at least 30 minutes before serving. These brownies will firm up as they sit, so allowing more time to cool is even better.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
Homemade Brownie Base
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (remaining from the can)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- optional: chopped walnuts
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post was originally published in 2019 and was updated to include new photos, new text, and an updated recipe in 2023.