Dig into our new favorite dish, the ultimate veggie burger recipe. It won’t take long before you realize why it’s our favorite. It’s loaded with vegan cheese, veggie bacon, the best veggie burger ever, and avocados. You’ll be surprised vegan can taste so good. Use our tips to make this recipe in only minutes!
If you’re into loaded burgers, with bacon and dripping melted cheese, and slathered mayo, and you’ve ever wondered if vegans feel the same…wonder no more. Introducing the Ultimate Veggie Burger recipe. For your loaded veggie burger loving heart!
This is not your mother’s veggie burger. It’s probably not your father’s, your sister’s, your brother’s, or anyone else’s you know either.
Because for the most part, veggie burgers are supposed to be the beacon of health. They’re supposed to be loaded with beans and topped with sprouts.
I get it. I’ve been there. In fact, that uber healthy veggie burger is totally my thing. That’s why I made this black bean veggie burger. And I’ve even made a Vegan Pesto Veggie Burger. I’ve got all kinds of veggie burgers, that are so healthy, and so delicious.
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Using plant-based burgers, like Impossible Burgers, makes these veggie burgers the absolute best
- Adding avocado slices is more than just a creamy healthy fat, it also adds pops of color and flavor
- Toasting the buns with vegan butter adds buttery flavor to every bite.
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
- Lemon — We’ll use both the zest and the juice of the lemon.
- Oats — I used rolled oats for this recipe, but you can substitute instant oats.
- Chia — We’ll add some ground chia seeds to create a thicker texture. You can use whole chia seeds; I just prefer ground because it creates a smoother finished texture.
- Syrup — I used maple syrup, but you can substitute agave nectar.
- Milk — We’ll use almond milk for the best overnight oats! Substitute your favorite plant-based milk.
- Yogurt — I love adding some plant-based yogurt (plain, unsweetened) for an even more tangy flavor.
- Protein Powder — I add some vanilla protein powder for increased flavor and nutrients. If your protein powder is not sweetened, you may want to add an extra teaspoon or two of sweetener.
- Cornstarch — We’ll use cornstarch to thicken the lemon curd topping.
- Turmeric — A pinch of turmeric makes that lemon curd sunny yellow.
- Veggie Burger — You can use any of your favorite veggie burgers, such as Impossible Burgers, Pure Farmland Burgers, or these Field Roast Hand-Formed Veggie Burgers.
- Veggie Bacon Strips — You can use storebought bacon or make these tempeh bacon strips.
- Vegan Cheddar Block — Sure you can use vegan cheddar slices, but I find the Daiya Vegan Cheddar Style Block delivers an extra-cheesy flavor.
- Avocado — You’ll need an avocado (or two) to cut into slices and serve on your burgers.
- Vegan butter — You can use tub margarine, Earth Balance, or homemade vegan butter.
- Buns — Use any of your favorite dairy-free buns.
How to Make Ultimate Veggie Burger
- Cook veggie burgers on a skillet over medium heat until browned on both sides.
- Cook veggie bacon strips until heated through and browned.
- Slice the vegan cheese in thick slices.
- Peel the avocado, remove the pit, and slice.
- Spread the vegan butter on both sides of the buns and place them buttered side down on the skillet and cook until golden brown.
- Melt the cheese by placing the veggie burger on the bottom bun, and top with cheese. Place it in the skillet for a couple of minutes (or microwave for about 20 seconds) to melt the cheese.
- Top each burger with veggie bacon strips, avocado slices, and the top bun.
- Serve with vegan mayo (optional) and your favorite sides.
Can you see why this is now our favorite ultimate veggie burger? The flavors of everything combines so perfectly.
It’s been awhile since I’ve had a meat-based burger so it’s hard for me to say, but I think you might actually like this ultimate veggie burger MORE than a meat-based burger.
So if having more meatless meals is a part of your resolutions for a better year, give this recipe a spin!
Serve veggie burgers with any of the following sides:
- Air Fryer French Fries
- Sweet Potato Tater Tots
- Air Fryer Potatoes
- Vegan Pasta Salad
- Cauliflower Salad
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges
If you decide to make this Ultimate Veggie Burger recipe, snap a photo and share it with #namelymarly on Instagram or Twitter. We love seeing your photos!
Ultimate Veggie Burger
- 1 package Field Roast Hand-Formed Veggie Burger
- 1 package Lightlife Fakin’ Bacon Tempeh Strips
- 1 package Daiya Vegan Cheddar Style Block
- 1 avocado
- 1-2 tablespoons vegan butter like Earth Balance
- 1 package buns
- On a skillet over medium heat, place the veggie burgers. Cook on both sides until heated through and browned, 3-5 minutes per side.
- Place the Fakin’ Bacon in the skillet and cook on both sides until heated through and browned, 3-5 minutes per side. Cut in half and set aside.
- Slice the vegan cheese in thick slices. Also peel the avocado, and slice.
- Spread the vegan butter on both sides of buns and place these on the skillet to brown.
- Assemble your sandwich by place the veggie burger on the bottom bun, top with cheese. Place it in the skillet for a couple of minutes (or microwave for about 20 seconds), to melt the cheese. Then top with a few Fakin’ Bacon strips, sliced avocado and the top bun.
- Serve with vegan mayo (optional) and your favorite sides like tater tots or french fries.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post was originally published in 2016 and was updated to include new photos, new text, and an updated recipe in 2021.