I love adding a bit of spice to my food. My husband? Not so much. That’s why I love having this spicy vegan buffalo sauce recipe around so I can drizzle over my favorite foods, like Vegan Black Bean Burgers. Yes, this sauce is a great condiment in addition to serving it with cauliflower wings.
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Adding melted coconut oil contributes a rich texture to this spicy sauce
- Using garlic powder contributes the perfect amount of mild garlic flavor to this sauce
- Red pepper sauce is responsible for a bit of a spicy kick in addition to the bright color
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
- Lemon — We’ll use both the zest and the juice of the lemon.
- Oats — I used rolled oats for this recipe, but you can substitute instant oats.
- Chia — We’ll add some ground chia seeds to create a thicker texture. You can use whole chia seeds; I just prefer ground because it creates a smoother finished texture.
- Syrup — I used maple syrup, but you can substitute agave nectar.
- Milk — We’ll use almond milk for the best overnight oats! Substitute your favorite plant-based milk.
- Yogurt — I love adding some plant-based yogurt (plain, unsweetened) for an even more tangy flavor.
- Protein Powder — I add some vanilla protein powder for increased flavor and nutrients. If your protein powder is not sweetened, you may want to add an extra teaspoon or two of sweetener.
- Cornstarch — We’ll use cornstarch to thicken the lemon curd topping.
- Turmeric — A pinch of turmeric makes that lemon curd sunny yellow.
- Coconut oil — I prefer refined coconut oil because it has less coconut flavor to it. You can substitute melted vegan butter.
- Red Pepper Sauce — Any red pepper sauce will do, whether you use Frank’s or the store brand.
- White vinegar — I have used either white vinegar or white wine vinegar.
- Vegan Worcestershire sauce — This sauce is usually available at health food stores or you can make vegan worcestershire sauce at home with simple ingredients. You can substitute soy sauce or Tamari.
- Garlic powder
Best Hot Sauce for Wings
Hot sauce is basically any sauce or condiment made with chili peppers. Some recipes call for specific brands, such as Frank’s Hot Sauce. However, any brand of hot sauce will do. Just look at the ingredients to make sure it’s vegan. Hot sauce is a key ingredient for wings, but in order to give it the restaurant quality smooth texture, adding some vegan butter or in the case of this recipe, coconut oil is necessary.
How to Make Vegan Buffalo Sauce
- Melt the coconut oil in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Pour in the red pepper sauce and remaining ingredients.
- Stir everything together and transfer to a lidded glass jar.
Is buffalo sauce vegan?
Many store-bought buffalo sauces are not vegan. However, it’s a super easy sauce to make at home without any animal ingredients.
Is Frank's Buffalo Sauce vegan?
The good news is that Frank’s Buffalo Sauce is vegan.
What Goes With Buffalo Sauce?
This sauce is more than your traditional hot sauce, thanks to the added fat from coconut oil. That means you can drizzle some vegan buffalo wing sauce on more than cauliflower. It’s a great condiment to serve on a number of plant-based dishes, such as Vegan Loaded Baked Potatoes.
It pairs well with Vegan Blue Cheese Dressing thanks to the spicy/creamy combination of flavors and textures. That’s another reason I love serving it with some creamy dressing on veggie burgers and sandwiches, such as:
Store this sauce in a lidded glass jar (like a mason jar) in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Vegan Buffalo Sauce
- ⅓ cup refined coconut oil
- ⅔ cup Red Pepper Sauce
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Melt the coconut oil in the microwave for 30 seconds. Pour in the red pepper sauce and remaining ingredients.
- Stir everything together and transfer to a lidded glass jar. Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.