Have fun with this vegan hot dogs recipe and create a hot dog bar! You’ll love the different toppings ideas provided in today’s post, plus details on how to cook vegan hot dogs!
Having grown up eating hot dogs, I was determined to find a way to serve delicious hot dogs vegan! Come to find out, tofu hot dogs are easy to make and with the right toppings, SO delicious!
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
- Lemon — We’ll use both the zest and the juice of the lemon.
- Oats — I used rolled oats for this recipe, but you can substitute instant oats.
- Chia — We’ll add some ground chia seeds to create a thicker texture. You can use whole chia seeds; I just prefer ground because it creates a smoother finished texture.
- Syrup — I used maple syrup, but you can substitute agave nectar.
- Milk — We’ll use almond milk for the best overnight oats! Substitute your favorite plant-based milk.
- Yogurt — I love adding some plant-based yogurt (plain, unsweetened) for an even more tangy flavor.
- Protein Powder — I add some vanilla protein powder for increased flavor and nutrients. If your protein powder is not sweetened, you may want to add an extra teaspoon or two of sweetener.
- Cornstarch — We’ll use cornstarch to thicken the lemon curd topping.
- Turmeric — A pinch of turmeric makes that lemon curd sunny yellow.
- Veggie dogs — Wondering where to buy vegan hot dogs? You can find them in the health food departments of grocery stores, health food stores, and sometimes you can even find them at Costco.
- Dairy-free hot dog buns — More brands offer dairy-free, but you can also make your own vegan hot dog buns.
- Mini tater tots
- Vegan cheddar cheese shreds
- Green onions
- Vegan mozzarella cheese shreds
- Vegan Macaroni and Cheese
- Seasoned black beans
- Cherry tomatoes
How to Make Vegan Hot Dogs
Wondering how to cook Lightlife Hot Dogs? These methods work for any vegan hot dogs or even brats. Here are four options for cooking vegan hotdogs: skillet, boiling, or grilling.
- Skillet — To pan-fry your hotdogs in a skillet, heat the pan on medium heat, and a little bit of oil (1/2 – 1 teaspoon). Place the veggie hotdogs in the pan and cook for 5–7 minutes, turning regularly.
- Boiling — Bring a pot of water to boil, add the hotdogs, and remove from heat. Leave the hotdogs in hot water for about 3 minutes, until the hotdogs are heated through.
- Microwave — Wrap the hotdog with a paper towel and nuke it for up to 60 seconds at 80% power. The paper towel helps capture the steam and heats the frank up through the middle.
- Grilling — Heat up your grill and place the franks perpendicular on greased grill grates on the cooler side of the grill so they can heat through without burning.
- When grilling, spray the grill with vegetable cooking spray so the dogs won’t stick to the grates.
- Make sure not to put vegan dogs over a direct flame so you can get a chargrilled taste without too much charring.
Now that you’ve cooked your vegetarian hot dogs, it’s time to think about toppings. You can use any of the traditional hot dog toppings such as:
Of course, it’s fun to try some things beyond the traditional too. Here are four favorite topping ideas!
You’ll love all of these very best veggie dog recipe toppings! First up? The Vegan Tatcho Dog. It had to be done.
- Begin with grilled meatless hot dogs.
- Place the veggie weiners in a whole wheat bun
- Add some cooked mini tater tots or Sweet Potato Tater Tots
- Top it with vegan cheese.
- Add chopped green onions.
It’s an awesome vegetarian hot dog recipe. Imagine tater tots served nacho style on a hot dog. Delicious!
French Onion Dog
Grilled onions and vegan mozzarella are the stars of this tasty veggie hotdogs feast.
- Cook vegan hot dogs.
- Place the hot dogs on a Vegan Hot Dog Bun
- Top with caramelized onions
- Top it with vegan mozzarella shreds.
Grilled onions make just about everything better, but served over a savory grilled vegan hot dog? Well, let’s just say seconds are required.
Mac and Cheese Dog
Everyone loves mac and cheese, and served on top of a hot dog it’s an undeniably delicious cheesy feast!
- Cook veggie hot dogs in a skillet
- Place them in a bun
- Add vegan macaroni and cheese
- Top it with even more vegan cheese
- Add chopped green onions.
Who knew tasty could be this easy!
Tex Mex Dog
The Tex Mex cuisine combines Mexican, Spanish, and American flavors. Added to a hot dog makes it a real fiesta!
- Place cooked meatless hot dogs in buns
- Top with black beans
- Add some corn or Corn Salsa
- Add lots of chopped onions, cherry tomatoes, and more.
This is a fresh and tasty topping to your veggie hot dogs.
What are Vegan Hot Dog Brands?
Believe it or not, there are several brands that sell veggie hot dogs. Here are the vegan hot dog brands that we have tried (and liked)…so far:
- LightLife Smart Dogs (I prefer the jumbo)
- Check out Field Roast’s Vegan Frankfurters or their bite-sized corndogs
- ToFurkey’s Jumbo Veg Hot Dogs
- Yves Jumbo Veggie Dogs
These are all some great options for vegetarian hot dog brands, and believe it or not, you can even make “hot dogs” from carrots. I’ve tried it and it works. I need to share the recipe with you, and for sure that is coming because it’s just another example of amazing plant-based food.
More Vegan Hot Dog Recipes
Four Ways to Make Vegan Hot Dogs
- 1 package of 8 vegan hot dogs
- 1 package 8 dairy-free hot dog buns
- 1 package mini tater tots cooked according to package directions
- 1 package vegan cheddar cheese shreds
- 2-3 green onions chopped
- 1 large onion peeled and sliced
- 1 package vegan mozzarella cheese shreds
- 2-3 servings Vegan Macaroni and Cheese
- 15 oz can seasoned black beans drained
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn thawed
- Heat gas or charcoal grill. Spray grill with vegetable cooking spray. Use a fork or tongs to place hot dogs on heated grill and cook 5–10 minutes, turning to brown sides.
- You can also toast your hot dog buns on the grill as well.
- Place cooked hot dogs in buns and top with your favorite toppings as described here.
Vegan Totcho Dogs
- Add cooked mini tater tots over your hot dog, and top it with vegan cheddar cheese shreds and chopped green onions.
Vegan French Onion Dog
- Pour about 1 tablespoon of oil into a skillet over medium-to-medium-high heat. Add the sliced onions and cook until caramelized. Spread grilled onions and vegan mozzarella over hot dogs. You may want to heat the hot dogs in a toaster oven to get the cheese to melt.
Vegan Mac and Cheese Dog
- Top veggie hot dog with your favorite Mac and Cheese. It really is a delicious combination!
Vegan Tex Mex Dog
- Add some seasoned black beans, corn, chopped green onions, and chopped tomatoes for a fresh and tasty topping. Bonus topping? How about some freshly sliced avocado or guacamole?
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This was a sponsored post. All opinions are my own. See our full disclosure for more information.