This homemade vegan taco recipe makes the best tacos ever! Tacos are packed with vegan taco meat, cheese, guacamole, and a tangy cashew cream sauce. Make this fresh and flavorful quick taco night dinner any day of the week.
Who doesn’t love Taco Tuesdays? Or tacos any days for that matter. I like to serve the toppings in individual bowls so we can make our own tacos just the way they like them. That’s me. Keeping everyone happy for decades. Or at least trying!
- Vegan taco meat is infused with black beans and corn, adding flavor, texture, and nutrition to every bite
- Avocado slices add healthy fats and a creamy texture
- Cashew cream is a great substitute for sour cream, and it’s easy to make for any of your favorite recipes.
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
- Lemon — We’ll use both the zest and the juice of the lemon.
- Oats — I used rolled oats for this recipe, but you can substitute instant oats.
- Chia — We’ll add some ground chia seeds to create a thicker texture. You can use whole chia seeds; I just prefer ground because it creates a smoother finished texture.
- Syrup — I used maple syrup, but you can substitute agave nectar.
- Milk — We’ll use almond milk for the best overnight oats! Substitute your favorite plant-based milk.
- Yogurt — I love adding some plant-based yogurt (plain, unsweetened) for an even more tangy flavor.
- Protein Powder — I add some vanilla protein powder for increased flavor and nutrients. If your protein powder is not sweetened, you may want to add an extra teaspoon or two of sweetener.
- Cornstarch — We’ll use cornstarch to thicken the lemon curd topping.
- Turmeric — A pinch of turmeric makes that lemon curd sunny yellow.
- Vegan taco meat — I like using my vegan taco meat recipe because it’s easy to make and infused with black beans and corn.
- Shredded lettuce — Greens are important for making the best tacos. I love using romaine lettuce, but iceberg and/or leaf lettuce work here too.
- Onions — Personally, I think red onions are best here, but any variety of onion will work, even green onions.
- Salsa — You’ll want to have your favorite salsa on-hand. You can choose chunky, mild, hot, or whatever works best for you.
- Avocado — Adding some sliced avocados makes these tacos even better. Of course, you can transform that avocado into my vegan guacamole and serve that on top of each taco too.
- Cashew cream — This is purely optional, but if you like your tacos supreme style, this cashew cream adds a little tangy, creamy flavor to every bite.
- Corn tortillas — How do you like your tacos? With a crispy shell? Or with a soft shell? Either way is fine here.
How to make Vegan Tacos
So, let’s get to the good stuff — making these delicious tacos. Here are the steps involved:
- Vegan Taco Meat — Prepare the taco meat according to the recipe instructions. It’s a fairly easy recipe and should take around 15 minutes.
- Prepare Toppings — Next, prepare the topping ingredients. This includes things like shredding the lettuce, peeling and chopping the avocados, making the vegan cream, etc.
- Assemble Your Tacos — Now’s the moment we’ve all been waiting for! time to assemble those tacos! Begin by adding some taco filling to the bottom of each taco, followed by shredded lettuce, chopped onions, salsa, and avocado slices. Drizzle the tacos with vegan sour cream (and hot sauce if that’s your jam).
You can make the vegan taco meat the day before and store in the fridge. This can make dinner time much easier!
Looking for more vegan taco ideas?
- Favorite Ingredients — Pile your tacos high with favorite ingredients, like vegan cheddar shreds, black bean dip, or even some corn salsa. I always like having a batch of sofritas on hand too.
- Taco Bar — Transform your eating experience into a taco bar by serving each ingredient in bowls and let everyone add their own toppings.
- Get Creative — Your veggie taco night could feature some unusual toppings too. For example, my family loves adding Catalina dressing to tacos. We also love some vegan ranch dressing too.
More Mexican Recipes
Sure, you love this vegan tacos recipe, but now you’re ready for even more good vegan Mexican food. I’m so right there with you! Here are some favorites you will want to try:
This vegan 7-layer taco dip is like a taco on a platter. Serve it with some air-fryer tortilla chips and you’ve got yourself a party!
What’s the difference between a vegetarian tacos recipe and a vegan one? It’s all about the cheese. Vegetarians will love the same plant-based taco meat that this recipe calls for, but they may or may not go for the vegan cheese. That said, everyone loves that cashew cream.
- Prepare the taco meat according to the instructions. It's a fairly easy recipe and should take around 15 minutes. You can always make it a day ahead too.
- Prepare any ingredients, like shredding the lettuce, peeling and chopping the avocados, making the cashew cream, etc.
- To prepare tacos, simply add some taco meat to the bottom of each taco, followed by shredded lettuce, chopped onions, salsa, and avocado slices. Drizzle with cashew cream (and hot sauce if that's your jam). You can serve it as a taco bar by having ingredients in bowls.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post was originally published in 2020 and was updated to include new photos, new text, and an updated recipe in 2021.