If you’re looking for the perfect ice cream topping, this vegan magic shell is, well, magical! This hard chocolate shell is made with only two ingredients. Add a few sprinkles and you transform a simple dessert into something downright festive!
I have been a fan of the DQ dipped cone since the beginning of time. Or at least it was the beginning of time for me. It quickly turned into my favorite summertime dessert.
Then I had to ruin that happy experience by going vegan. Darnit! No, no, I’m happy about my choice, especially now that I can top vegan ice cream with my homemade magic shell. It’s so easy to do!
How to Make Vegan Magic Shell
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
- Using a microwave-safe bowl, add chocolate chips and coconut oil.
- Stir them together.
- Microwave for 30 seconds then stir.
- If the chocolate is not melted all the way, microwave for another 20 seconds. Stir again.
- Allow the sauce to cool for a few minutes.
- Serve over your favorite vegan ice cream, like banana nice cream and vegan chocolate ice cream.
- Lemon — We’ll use both the zest and the juice of the lemon.
- Oats — I used rolled oats for this recipe, but you can substitute instant oats.
- Chia — We’ll add some ground chia seeds to create a thicker texture. You can use whole chia seeds; I just prefer ground because it creates a smoother finished texture.
- Syrup — I used maple syrup, but you can substitute agave nectar.
- Milk — We’ll use almond milk for the best overnight oats! Substitute your favorite plant-based milk.
- Yogurt — I love adding some plant-based yogurt (plain, unsweetened) for an even more tangy flavor.
- Protein Powder — I add some vanilla protein powder for increased flavor and nutrients. If your protein powder is not sweetened, you may want to add an extra teaspoon or two of sweetener.
- Cornstarch — We’ll use cornstarch to thicken the lemon curd topping.
- Turmeric — A pinch of turmeric makes that lemon curd sunny yellow.
- Chocolate — You’ll need dairy-free chocolate chips for this recipe or you can substitute an equal amount of chopped dairy-free chocolate.
- Coconut oil — Use refined coconut oil for less coconut flavor or unrefined if you’re like, bring on ALL the coconut.
Magic Shell Flavors
If you’re looking for something besides chocolate, here are some fun ways to mix up the flavors:
- Peanut Butter — Coconut oil combined with 6 tablespoons of peanut butter.
- Salted Caramel — Coconut oil combined with 3 tablespoons almond butter and 2 teaspoons maple syrup, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and a pinch of sea salt.
- Strawberry — Coconut oil combined with 1/2 cup vegan white chocolate and 2 tablespoons strawberry powder (freeze-dried strawberries run through a coffee grinder), and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Matcha — Coconut oil combined with 1/2 cup vegan white chocolate and 1 to 2 teaspoons matcha powder (I recommend ceremony-grade for flavor and color), and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Add a pinch of sea salt if you’d like.
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- EASY — It doesn’t get any easier than two simple ingredients!
- FAMILY-FAVORITE — Everyone loves ice cream for dessert, make it special with this easy topping.
- MAGIC — Make this magic shell sauce, drizzle it over ice cream, and watch it disappear!
Can you use magic shell on popcorn?
You can add magic shell to popcorn to make a delicious treat. Simply drizzle it over a bag of popcorn and shake it so all the popcorn is coated. Then let it set to harden.
Is Smuckers Magic Shell vegan?
Unfortunately, Sumcker’s Magic Shell is not vegan because the chocolate used in their formula includes dairy. However, you can easily create your vegan magic shell at home!
Serve this chocolate shell on your favorite vegan ice cream, including any of these:
Store magic shell in a lidded glass jar. You can store it at room temperature where it will keep for up to 1 month. You can refrigerate it, but either way, it will need to be heated in the microwave for several seconds until the chocolate becomes liquid again.
Serve this tasty ice cream topping with some additional toppings, such as:
- Chopped nuts
- Peanut Butter Granola
- Coconut Whipped Cream
- Crumbled Homemade Oreo Cookies
- Crumbled Vegan Puppy Chow
- Vegan Peanut Butter Cups cut into pieces.
Vegan Frozen Favorites
If you love this vegan magic shell, then you’ll need some more delicious vegan frozen treats. Here are some of our favorites:
Vegan Magic Shell
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil (refined or unrefined)
- Using a microwave-safe bowl, add chocolate chips and coconut oil. Stir them together. Microwave for 30 seconds then stir. If the chocolate is not melted all the way, microwave for another 20 seconds. Stir again.
- Allow the sauce to cool for a few minutes.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.