You’ll love this refreshing boba smoothie recipe with a fruity base and freshly-cooked tapioca pearls. It’s a great way to start your day. Enjoy boba smoothies as a sweet treat or a satisfying drink after a workout. The combination of flavors and textures makes it a perfect indulgent drink.
There are so many fun ways to make smoothies. For example, this purple smoothie bowl is so bright and colorful!
What is a Boba Smoothie?
A boba smoothie is a refreshing drink that combines chewy boba pearls with a creamy and fruity smoothie base. We’ll make the smoothie base with plant-based milk, frozen fruit, and protein powder.
We’ll cook the boba pearls, also known as tapioca pearls, and let them cool. Then we’ll add them to the smoothie for a unique texture and a burst of sweetness with each sip.
Boba Smoothie Ingredients
This refreshing boba smoothie combines sweet and chewy boba pearls with a fruity smoothie base. It’s the perfect treat any day. Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- Boba — You’ll need instant boba pearls (also known as tapioca pearls). You can buy these in Asian grocery stores or online.
- Plant-based milk — I prefer almond milk, but you can use your favorite plant-based milk.
- Fruit — I like using frozen fruit for my smoothies. Want a mango boba smoothie? Buy a bag of frozen mango! Same thing for strawberries, pineapple, or even bananas. Learn how to cut a pineapple into chunks to make it easier to freeze them.
- Lime juice — Adding lime juice gives the base a zesty flavor! You can change it out for lemon juice.
- Sweetener — Depending on how ripe your fruit is, you may want to add more sweetener. You can use maple syrup, agave nectar, or a zero-calorie sweetener.
- Protein powder — Transform your smoothie into an energy drink with vanilla protein powder.
How to Make Boba Smoothie
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
- Cook boba pearls and set them aside to cool
- Add smoothie ingredients to a blender and pulse until smooth
- Pour smoothies into glasses
- Add cooled boba pearls to your smoothie, and enjoy!
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- FUN — Adding fresh boba pearls gives your drink a chewy texture!
- EASY — Throw the ingredients into a blender and pulse until smooth. It’s that easy!
- VERSATILE — Add your favorite frozen fruit to the blender to make the most delicious smoothie ever!
Why put boba in smoothies?
You don’t have to add boba pearls to your smoothie, but it adds an interesting texture. Biting into chewy boba pearls makes the drink last longer, too.
Can you make a smoothie with boba?
Cook boba pearls and allow them to cool, then add them to your favorite smoothies, like this chocolate peanut butter protein smoothie!
Make a boba tea smoothie by adding a bit of green tea matcha powder to the base. Learn more about matcha in smoothies with this strawberry matcha smoothie recipe.
Serve smoothies with any of the following: your favorite side dishes such as:
- Fresh fruit is perfect on the side
- Serve some vegan guacamole with thinly sliced carrots
- These fun fruity pancakes are perfect with smoothies for breakfast.
- Granola — Serve this protein granola on the side.
Smoothies are best when they’re fresh. But you can cover it and store it in the fridge for up to 2 days. You can also freeze smoothies in a freezer-safe jar for up to 2 months.
If you love this vegan boba smoothie, you’ll want to try more colorful smoothies such as this Mixed Berry Smoothie, this bright Lemon Smoothie, or this healthy Banana Spinach Smoothie. Here are more smoothie favorites to try:
- ¼ cup uncooked boba pearls (also known as tapioca pearls)
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup frozen fruit (mango, strawberry, or pineapple works great)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla protein powder
- 1 cup ice
- Add 2 cups of water to a small saucepan. Bring it to a boil, then add the boba pearls. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the pearls rise to the top. Then cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and drain in a strainer. Rinse with cold water to cool them off.
- Add the milk, frozen fruit, lime juice, maple syrup, and protein powder to the blender. Let it sit for a minute, then pulse on low speed until broken down. Gradually increase the speed until the mixture is smooth.
- Taste the smoothie. If you're happy with the consistency and flavor, move on to the next step. For a thicker smoother, add the ice and repeat the process above, blending on low and gradually increasing the speed to create a smooth texture. You can add more sweetener at this point, too.
- Place half of the boba pearls in a glass. Pour the smoothie on top and add a boba straw. Repeat with the second glass.
- Enjoy your boba smoothie immediately.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
Boba PearlsBoba pearls taste best fresh, so cook them right before making your smoothie (allowing them time to cool down). Once boba pearls come to the top of boiling water, you know they’re done. Use quick-cooking boba pearls for best results.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.